Thursday, January 5, 2012

Baby-Comma-Cry 101

It begins! Welcome to my Bloggy Blog. Let's see how I do about keeping up with this thing...Thank you, "Cry-Baby," for popping my blog cherry. Hurts so goooooood.

I'll start with this: I feel honored. These people are incredible. Everyone involved with this show is so fun, open, talented and perfect for their parts. So, thanks to New Line for a warm welcome to a, seemingly, awesome chapter in my life. :)

I am writing this the night before our third rehearsal so I'm getting a late start. Quick Highlights:

1.) Zak Farmer is funny.
2.) Scott's enthusiasm is contagious.
3.) The music is awesome!
4.) I'm nervous as all get out.
5.) When we sing together, as a chorus, it feels awesome.
6.) The Whiffles are sounding like one of the best Barbershop groups I've heard.
7.) This show is funny.
8.) I'm nervous as all get out.
9.) Ari (Our Dupree) is also from Iowa. And he's a show stopper. Very talented.
10.) We're all stoked!

So, NOW...I just got back from our third rehearsal, because I  procrastinated posting this bitch. The Teardrops sound SIIIIIAACK!

I'm just a teeny tiny bit frustrated with my vocals. Not anything anyone is doing wrong. Not even sure that I am doing anything wrong, really. I just have a sound in my head for Cry-Baby and I am still trying to find HIS voice. I don't think he should sound like any other character I have ever played, because I've never played a character like him. I'll be listening to a lot of Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis over the course of the next few weeks (which is a great thing to feel like you have to do). I feel that, maybe, I have a lot of "rock" in my voice so far, but not enough "-abilly." CB's voice is hiding somewhere in my gut and I'm super anxious to find it. "Come out, come out wherever you are."

Judging by these first few rehearsals, everyone is exceedingly capable of their roles in this show. That's all anyone can ask for. I'm running out of things to say because my experiences have been limited to only 3 rehearsals, but I'm looking forward to having pages of things to write about, soon. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Ryan, I found this book on rockabilly at the library a few weeks ago, and besides charting the genre over 40 years, it talked about the original choice for Cry-Baby in the movie, James Intveld. He ended up doing most of the singing for Depp anyway, but he has a lot of stuff on YouTube if you are looking for more rockabilly kind of stuff. Also, take a look at some of the early Sun Records stuff if you haven't already. Like, early Elvis, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Lee. Hope this might help you find your voice. Have a nice day.

    Chris (Whiffle)

    ReplyDelete